This is a beta release, please expect bugs. Read the following text carefully, it contains important information. Seriously.
USB Mass Storage protocol is widely supported by modern operation systems and consumer devices, USB thumb drives and photo cameras are good examples of devices which implement USB Mass Storage protocol. Since this device class is likely supported by your operation system you do not need any additional drivers or complex (read: any) setup, this makes information exchange much easier.
USB Drive let you create one or more virtual disks for use as USB Mass Storage volume, thus you can allocate some of your iPhone space to carry desktop files with you.
Current limitations (I hope some of them to be resolved in the future):
- Files and folders on virtual disks are not directly accessible for iPhone applications nor desktop OS can read or write iPhone files. Basically we have two worlds - desktop and iPhone and these worlds are isolated.
- Only 8 virtual volumes can be created at a time.
- USB Drive will automatically format new volumes using FAT16 or FAT32 filesystem only.
- USB Drive will disable Picture Transfer Protocol support when it active. Switching between USB Mass Storage and PTP requires a system restart.
- PTP protocol is being used to transfer pictures to the iPhoto or direct print on compatible printers.
- Application requires jailbroken iPhone and cannot be downloaded from AppStore.
Application was tested with iPhone 2G and iPod Touch 1G only at this time. While I almost sure it will work as is please if you aren't familar with iPhone internals and do not have ssh installed on your device do not attempt to install on iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS until I get confirmation it works properly. Thanks.
- Install USB Drive from my Cydia repository.
- Launch USB Drive.
- Create some disk. It takes a while to allocate large amount of data
- Switch to the Mass Storage mode.
- Connect USB Cable
- Email me you results, what do you like or what do you dislike
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE APPLICATION WHEN IT IN USB MASS STORAGE MODE. FAILURE TO SWITCH TO PTP MODE BEFORE UNINSTALLING APPLICATION WILL MAKE YOU A LOT OF TROUBLES. ITUNES SYNC AND USB CHARGE WILL BE DISABLED.
YET ANOTHER TIME: BEFORE UNINSTALL YOU NEED TO SWITCH APPLICATION TO THE PTP MODE AND RESTART THE IPHONE.
In order to stop spreading outdated beta versions, this beta version expires 1 Oct 2009. Expired version will let you copy all your information from virtual disks using usb mass storage, but will not let create new disks or write data to the virtual volumes.